"A TRUE FRIEND IS A GIFT FROM GOD"
"As I set at my computer working on a project, my mind began to reminisce on my best friends. It is extremely imperative for everyone to have at least one friend because they are truly a gift from God.
There is an example in the Bible that talks about true friendship between David and Saul's son Jonathan:
• In spite of his father Saul's pursuit of David and attempts to kill him, Jonathan stood by his friend. That story is in 1 Samuel chapter 18 through chapter 20.
• Proverbs 17:17 "A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity."
• Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."
I thought about a petition that I had placed up before the Lord many years ago when I was in high school. I asked God to send me:
• a friend that I could confide in.
• a friend that would understand me.
• a friend that would not ridicule or judge me.
• a friend that would be as close to me as my sisters.
When I prayed this prayer, it never once crossed my mind that my friend and I would be separated because we had become somewhat inseparable over the years. I need to tell you that God honored my petition by giving me not just one friend but 3 best friends in my lifetime.
• My high school friend (Kaye).
• 20 years ago my friend (Doris).
• My last friend & business partner (Louise). She made her transition with the Lord a couple of months ago.
They are now setting at the table feasting with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!
Someone said, “That if you can count your true friends on the fingers of one hand, you are blessed.” They also said, “A friend is one whom you can be yourself with and never fear that he or she will judge you. A friend is someone that you can confide in with complete trust. A friend is someone you respect and that respects you, not based upon worthiness but based upon a likeness of mind.”
As I looked at the phrase: “Healed from Within”..... I realized the brokenness in my life because I miss my friend Louise, so much. We were truly like sisters. – Isaiah 53:5 says, “But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed!”
We must trust in the Lord to receive inner peace, as His brokenness satisfies God’s price for our sin.
John 15:13-14 says that, “Greater love hath no man than this that a man lay down his life for his friends. Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.”
A WORD OF ENCOURAGEMENT: Hold on to your best friend and treat him or her with love and respect. Every day is precious just knowing that you have someone to confide in. Think about this; the very hour that you are talking to your friend, could also be the last hour. We are only here for a season and “Friends are truly a Gift from God.”
JoAnne Smith Hooks
Author: “A Bitter Disease Called Unforgiveness”